Yiorgos Papanagiotou Hon AIWS
Yiorgos Papanagiotou was born in Drama in 1953. He graduated from the Department of Economics of the Athens University of Business and Economics. His postgraduate studies in Journalism were at the Institut de Démographie De Paris. Among the many seminars and accreditations he has obtained, he highlights that of the Hellenic Foreign Trade Board with Mrs. Stavroula Kourakou-Dragona “Greek Wine and International Markets” and the “WSET Level 2 in Wines” at WSPC.
In 1985 he was hired by the Hellenic Foreign Trade Board. In March of 1987 he took on the position of Product Manager for wine and ouzo at the same organization. Since 1987 he has designed, coordinated and implemented programmes and initiatives aiming at the Generic promotion of Brand Name Greek Wine abroad. Indicative the following are mentioned:
- The Greek participation in all International Wine & Spirits Trade Shows from 1987-2015.
- A programme for the promotion of wine in Great Britain with Mrs. Maggie McNie MW (1992 – 1994), in France with Mr. Jean – Pierre Xiradakis (1989-1994). And in Japan with the Office of Wine (1992-1995).
- Visits by leading French Chefs (1990-1994) – promotion of Greek wines in renowned French restaurants.
- Advertising wine in Germany (1994-1998).
- Advertising ouzo in Germany (1993-1997).
- Road Show events and masterclasses in Germany, Austria, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Russia, Sweden, Denmark, China, Japan, S. Korea in collaboration with Markus Del Monego MW, Konstantinos Lazarakis MW, Debora Meiburg MW, Yiannis Karakasis MW, Konstantinos Stergidis, Bisso Atanassov / 1997-2017.
- The first official visit of the Institute of Masters of Wine to Greece (2013).
- Visits of journalists and wine buyers from European countries (1987-2016): Germany, France, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland, England, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Russia, Brazil as well as from the Far East, Japan, China and S. Korea.
- Media Plans in printed and electronic journals for wine in all target-countries in Europe, the Far East and N. America.
- The creation of special inserts for Greek Wine in the Magazines: Meininger Weinwirtschaft & WeinWelt, Vinum, Wein+Markt (Germany), DECANTER & Harpers (England) / 1987 – 2016.
- The printing of promotional materials for wine (brochures, books, wine maps) from the Hellenic Foreign Trade Board and Enterprise Greece.
- Since 2014, when the Enterprise Greece was merged with the Hellenic Foreign Trade Board and until the present day, Mr. Papanagiotou holds the position of head of department for the promotion of wine.
- The ethos and dedication he has shown to Greek wine throughout his career have received recognition industry wide.